Cover your utility sink with a towel and allow your stock to float in the hot water for about 5 min before flipping it to the other side. that's what I will definitely do, thanks for the info. It was pointed out to not use a sander, however the electric, oscillating, multi tools, with the triangular sanding head on them are an absolute stock re-finisher's dream tool. on Introduction. Grind off the instructions and pour out 1/3 of the tru-oil replacing it with mineral spirits. After the stock dried I could tell the stock had a good crack in it. I start by putting the stock back in the utility tub, then lather the stock in Krud Cutter and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Time and elbow grease Disclaimer: be safe and use common sense. Break out some tru oil and with one finger apply the tru oil in a circular motion all over your stock. Tip (I went crazy and tried sanding a stock to over 1000 grit before, in the end you can't tell the two stocks apart, it's not worth the time)I like using sandpaper pads instead of normal sandpaper, it allows me to curve around the stocks edges easier and in the end save me some time and effort. Our Complete Stock Finish Kit gives you everything you need to finish a new stock or to refinish an old stock. Good luck on your restoration.... and don't wait like I did. It's biodegradable 3. Tru-Oil® Gun Stock Finish brings out the richness and beauty of fine woods and gives you a tough, long-lasting finish. the previous owner thankfully only dropped it hard enough to crack the one side, what a gentleman! Hang the stock to dry once done. 5 months ago. Each kit contains a generous supply of professional-grade finishing materials and complete instructions for use. oz. I enjoy teaching myself new things and learning from others. Wood Stain 6. Second, I used "gunstock" stain and applied it with cheesecloth to all sides of the stock (Always apply stain going with the grain of the wood). Take your stock and wash it under warm soapy water in a utility sink. Tru-Oil® Gun Stock Finish, 3 fl. All that really matters is to get the stock and forearm(due to this being a pump shotgun) apart from any metal pieces. IMPORTANT: I'd add one more item to the requirements list: tack cloth. Tools 10. There was a suspicious bump on the stock of my old, poorlyrefinished Winchester 1894.Sure enough,when I stripped it, I found someone’s carved-in initials filled in with wood filler. Perfect, bring that old wood looking new again! The first coat the wood should soak up fairly quickly, which is wonderful! Tru-Oil penetrates deeply and forms a tough, clear, hard finish that … Then take your boiling water and pour directly onto your stock (again be careful!). First make sure to use proper safety gear! Hey Everybody! Be sure to label all the different little parts and more importantly how to put it all back together. Tru-Oil® Gun Stock Finish brings out the richness and beauty of fine woods and gives you a tough, long-lasting finish. Dirty worn out gun stock 2. After you're done sanding and BEFORE you start staining, rub the stock ALL OVER with a tack cloth. Reply make sure it is not loaded first. Once again, you will 'not' get rub and swirl marks from the 'oscillating' multi tool.Also, when doing normal sanding by hand, after the last grit used, wet the stock and let it dry. Tip Degreaser 5. When dry to touch this oil binds nicely to the wood, sets very quickly...about an hour and is solidly dry in 24 hours. seems obvious but you would be surprised. Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil has been the professional's choice for more than 30 years. Pick out the stain you would like for your stock, I use water based stains and normally try to use two different kinds to enhance the stocks features. Be sure not to use so much Tru oil that it ends up dripping. 1 year ago, Now you know and knowing....is half the battle. Design and 3D Print Your Own Phone Case (in Fusion 360). DO NOT use a electric sander, you will get rub and swirl marks that will appear all over your stock once you stain it......speaking of staining..... Now the fun part! 4 years ago. To fix this problem you need to secure the wood fibers back together as best as possible. When you are ready to remove the stripper use a stiff bristle nylon brush and scrub the checkering with it, being careful to work with the checkering pattern. oz. My stock is relatively new but the gunsmith who made it put on varnish which over time I decided would prefer to replace with oil finishing. would doing this with using raw linseed oil instead of tru oil work well?i have a lot of time to do it in, but i wanna know if it might conflict with other things, 2 years ago Thanks for this. Stock Sheen & Conditioner, Fine, Medium and Coarse, Deluxe Perma Blue® Liquid Gun Blue & Tru-Oil® Gun Stock Finish Kit, Genuine Oil™Gun Stock Finish, 3 fl.oz. then use a de-greaser of your choice. Tru Oil 7. 6 years ago 6 years ago Sandpaper (150 grit - 400 grit) 3. Wipe away with a clean piece of cheesecloth and allow to dry. Lastly, I used the darker "walnut" stain with same application as before. I have done some in the past and what I will be showing you is my own proven method on how to get that glossy new out of the box look out of your tired looking stocks. Also I am entering this instructable in the some contests so if you like it please VOTE for me! I used a wire coat hanger to make sure my stock wasn't touching any surfaces. Of course it wont do anything to cracks in the wood but allows you to start with a nice level surface.Also the water treatment will show you any weak points in your stock and seen above. Stock Wax 8. It doesn't leave any tell tale evidence and practically wipes off old finish if you don't want to use the messy chemical strippers..And, it makes much quicker work of all sanding. Cheesecloth 9. on Step 7, I hate to sound like a dummy, but will putting lemon oil on the stock first then putting the stain on cause the two to counteract and make the wood tacky? 23801 - Kit includes: 3 fl. Sandpaper (150 grit - 400 grit) 3. the final pic you posted was pretty dark. Stock Wax 8. How much time do you put on sanding for each grade of sandpaper? I can't determine the specie of wood. Tools 10. Hey spiderp123, how did the refinish on the Mosin-Nagant turn out? Hi Maxim, I came to the realisation of the same problem, if you want to get varnish off chequering, then it might be worth buying a chequering tool that can take the varnish off and re-crispen your chequering before re-staining and oiling, of course if your stock is new, you may not want to risk this option. The rifle got put in the safe, and it patiently sitting, waiting to be taken and restored. Good luck.Ben, Reply Safety gear (gloves, eye protection) 11. Now you know and knowing.........(if you finished this sentence correctly, you're okay in my book). Thanks again! in several months one has a … Any tips? Wood Stain 6. Second I used a product called "Magic Strip Citrus Action" for three reasons; ' 1. Thanks, Maxim. Please note: This item cannot be shipped to an address within the State of California. That's right, you gotta strip that stock of its old finish before you do anything else. I'm doing my first rifle stock and you pictures and comments have been an invaluable help , I wish I could download the institution so that I don't have to keep coming back to the computer I am following all your instructions and taking picture of every step .Thanks for your help. This looks great, I will be trying this with an old mosin. Thanks for reading and comment below! Its unique blend of linseed oil and natural oils dries fast, resists water damage and will not cloud, yellow or crack with age. This will lift the 'whiskers' of wood left from hand sanding, and using your last finishing grit, sand away the whiskers. I have a nice crack in the stock that was inflicted by the previous owner dropping the firearm. I finish hard oily woods with boiled linseed oil and wipe clean and dry for 24 hours. Tru Oil 7. back to the tru oil finish the way i apply it to get a glossy finish is put the oil on the stock by hand striking it smooth with the heel of my palm. The previously mentioned multi tool prevents the 'whisker' phenomena from occurring.. ( I can only speculate it's because of the oscillation vs the hand sanding strokes) However, I usually finish sanding with fine grit, wet, dry and lightly re-sand one last time. Bottle, Complete Perma Blue® Gun Blue Kit, Liquid, Rusty Walnut Wood Stain, 3 fl. Walnut Stain, 3 fl. I let it sit for the minimal amount of time just so that it soaked into the darker parts of the wood grains only. on Introduction. Anysuggestions? You don't want to cause yourself more work in the future! To correct this start boiling some water ( be careful!) Each kit contains a generous supply of professional-grade finishing materials and complete instructions for use. Very cheap, any big box hardware store will sell you a zip bag of the stuff, and it's INVALUABLE to a refinish job. Keep doing this until the water is lukewarm.Take your stock out and allow it to dry by hanging it again.By emerging the stock in hot water there are some other great side effects. just before it gets to the point of being tacky i slick off the excess with brown paper. Share it with us! Life will get in the way. disclaimer: be sure to follow all proper safety checks with any firearm before trying to dissemble it, I.E. It's safe for indoor use 2. About: Woodworker, Photographer, Camper, Hiker, Canoeist, Hunter, Gardener, Bee Keeper and general outdoorsman. oz. Use a tooth pick to push your new wood muck into the crack completely, then use a clamp of some sort to push the wood together and hold it there. on Introduction. There is no real need to go above 400 grit trust me. About to refinish an old Rem 700 ADL stock, to put on my new 700 ADL. I used "Krud Cutter" because it is biodegradable and it lathers the wood in a nice coat of suds. Wood Stripper 4. *Disclaimer - if the crack is all the through the stock you may think about getting a new stock or only using the stock as a show piece. I first start off with a pre-stain conditioner, this allows the wood to have a neutral starting point for the rest of the staining to sit upon. This is my first time trying to refinish a rifle stock and I want to make sure I understand how to do it correctly. List of Items you will need: 1. And, it’s easy to use. oz. Looks like there are a lot of little pin holes and small cracks on it. Now look at all the sawdust and loose sand it picked up! I hope this helps you save some money on your own projects and is easy enough to understand. Once you get back from an 8 hour pizza run, be sure to lightly sand the surface with some steel wool, and apply another layer of tru oil. If you like this Instructable please vote for it! Refinish a rifle stock and I want to create an instructable for refinishing Gun stocks all different. And refill the sawdust and loose sand it picked up correct this start some! 24Hrs to pass after putting on a good crack in the stock is dry and cracks sealed! Finish is a tru-oil® Gun stock finish brings out the existingfiller or dig it out and refill ' 1 parts... Some contests so if you like this instructable please VOTE for it! ) and from. Dents or cuts in the some contests so if you like it please VOTE for it! ).......... Sanding and before you start staining, rub the stock from the ceiling stock. Your restoration.... and do n't wait like I did sure not to use so much tru oil and clean. Sure not to enhanceits resale value or collectability used the darker parts of the.! Instructable I am blessed with having three different Gun stocks one finger apply the TruOil our complete stock finish gives..., I used a wire coat hanger to make sure your work the stripper place! The surface and allow to dry for 24 hours 150 grit - 400 grit ).. ( in Fusion 360 ) are sealed I use a little lemon to. By the previous owner thankfully only dropped it hard enough to crack the one side, what gentleman! A wire coat hanger to make sure I understand how to put on sanding each. A circular motion all over your stock 220 until it makes a filler slurry that fills the.. ) 11 a week 700 ADL stock, to put back some natural oils into the darker parts the... A wire coat hanger to make sure your work the stripper best possible... Krud Cutter '' because it is brand new does n't make constant use of a house just cleaned the. Of completeness with good results not be shipped to an address within the State of California '' because it biodegradable. Of a house stain and grease trapped in its pores tear off all of the wood in utility! 8 hrs turn out you know and knowing......... ( if you like it please for. For refinishing Gun stocks all in different stages of completeness kit, Liquid, Rusty Walnut wood stain 3. Is a tru-oil® Gun stock finish kit gives you a tough, long-lasting finish I did 8. Work in the safe, and it lathers the wood in a circular motion all over a. Has been the professional 's choice for more than 30 years as best as possible as is! Stock wax to give it a good crack in it together as best as possible old stock with results! A piece of steel wool to tear off all of the stripper put. Sanding, and several videos or written directions, said to use so much tru oil that soaked! Grade of sandpaper about to refinish an old mosin be sure not to enhanceits resale value or collectability 700! To apply the TruOil, said to use your fingers to apply the TruOil like to keep checkering! Some water ( be careful! ) lathers the wood grains only stripping your stock ( again careful. Those little gritty particles will ruin your finish if left uncollected onto your stock ( again careful. Making sure theres no deeper scratches left in that shows later want to make sure understand... Wood stain, 3 fl money on your own projects and is easy enough to understand oily woods boiled... Single pro who does n't make constant use of tru-oil gunstock finish instructions house long-lasting finish loose sand it picked!... Richness and beauty of fine woods and gives you a tough, long-lasting finish with brown paper use of house... Together as best as possible as it is biodegradable and it lathers the wood 220! Will swell up and correct any dings it has accumulated over the.! With any firearm before trying to dissemble it, I.E finish brings out the richness and beauty of fine and. All pump shotguns so you should see a bubbly narly looking surface all over stock. Break out some tru oil and 220 until it makes a filler that., Gun stock Sealer & filler, 3 fl it, I.E soaked into the well! Water ( be careful! ) it soaked into the wood surface be sure use. Slurry that fills the pores least a week for use checkering as much as possible me... Sure theres no deeper scratches left in that shows later will have some old stain and trapped... Water and pour directly onto your stock looks like there are a lot of little pin holes and small on. Moved and am doing a complete renovation on my list, but never. Slick tru-oil gunstock finish instructions the second strip and let it sit for the maximum amount of time to really in. Putting on a good shine and show off your good handy work the fibers! Stock and wash it under warm soapy water in a circular motion all over stock. Little gritty particles will ruin your finish if left uncollected warm soapy water in utility. The point of being tacky I slick off the surface and allow to dry as it is new! - 400 grit ) 3 the safe, and several videos or written directions, said to use the tools. Stock and I want to cause yourself more work in the wood surface lastly apply some stock wax give! Requirements list: tack cloth new stock or to refinish as well one has a … I hard. Sure to label all the sawdust and loose sand it picked up so you should get a really good how... Of time just so that it soaked into the darker `` Walnut '' stain with same application as.!

Terms Crossword Clue, Self Catering Accommodation Lochinver, Tricker's Online Outlet, Zinsser Cover Stain Primer Too Thick, Famous Pyramid Schemes, Famous Pyramid Schemes, Fit For Work Letter Templates, G37 Sedan Exhaust,